Julie Wise & the Facebook Lament

Facebook is a dangerous, dangerous thing. When I started blogging three and a half years ago, leading up to a NYC mission trip, I never imagined the outlets and resources that words typed & written could be read through.

I hopped on MySpace a few years back, mostly because I had come across Amy McL's MySpace page and wanted to make a comment. Well, to comment, I had to have a "page", so I made a page. Probably spent way more time on making the page flashy, but I had nothing else... I couldn't do a Facebook page, because Facebook was only for people who had a college email address, and then it was opened to those who had certain work or "network" email addresses.

And then, one day, the gates of Facebook opened up to one and all, much to the dismay of many who thought it should remained an exclusive club.

I've said this before--I blog to be read. Seriously, I enjoy knowing that people sometimes enjoy what I write. I don't have many talents, if any, so apparently I can do this halfway decent. If I wanted to remain private, I would just use a journal and keep it hidden under the bed. So how do you continually get read? Be entertaining in what you write (I guess this depends on who you ask), blog alot (so there is something for people to check) and advertise.

I started doing that on Facebook last year, typing the web address in my status line, along with an idea of what had just been written, be it Idol recaps, movies, music, whatever... I also had my blogs imported into Facebook, so now anyone who lists me as a "friend" can see just about anything I've written--which isn't all that impressive, because anyone with a computer and some time to kill can head to Clouds in My Coffee and see EVERYTHING I've written.

And therein lies the danger. Back when I first started, when I first began to discuss things like... Troy State... Samson High School... past experiences... former friends turned long lost acquaintances... it was not a big deal. I mean, who's going to read this? I haven't seen Tiffany Abbott in years, so if I gush about my crush on her there, she won't see it, right? Or if I discuss parties and cruises and crazy things in high school involving Jason Smith or Cristie Wright or Shannon Williamson or whoever, I haven't seen any of them in a decade, so what of it?

And what about Angiejay's dismissal of me during our Homecoming dance? Or Susan Ward's mean comment that kinda bugged me for years afterwards? See, for a long time, Tiffany and Jason and Cristie and Shannon and Angiejay and Susan... they weren't even real people. Well, I mean, they were, but not here. They are characters in the story that I happened to be telling at that time. Most of you don't know Tiffany Abbott from Tiffany the Redheaded 80s pop star (though had I dated Tiffany the Redheaded 80s pop star, I would have been 15 at the time, and you'd better believe I'd have told that story.)...

...well, most of you didn't know her. Many of you do now.


Sidenote. When I say "story", I hope you rest assured in the fact that pretty much everything I tell you about the old days is pretty much the truth, or at least the truth as best I can recall it all these years later. So when I tell you the story of The Greg to Diamonds Foundation, where in 8th grade Ryan Frary, Chad Ward, Chris McCall and myself collected money in jars for two weeks to earn enough to buy a diamond ring for Greg Avant to give to Jennifer Lambert so she'd go out with him... that's a true story. Besides, if I said stuff like, "Yeah, I dated Stephanie Phillips and I was prom king with Beverly Day and when I went to college, I went on a mission trip to Belize with The Angel and..." someone would refute that. Especially now. My point is made. And if you think this is all a ploy to invoke as many old names as I can come up with... well, you may be right.

All of this came to mind the other day when none other than Julie Wise joined Facebook. Julie Wise, the tall, frizzy headed beauty that had my glances and my heart (for whatever that was worth in high school) during my junior and senior years, Julie Wise, who've I've referred to as The Official Clouds In My Coffee Samson High School Crush... she now has become techno savvy.

A friend of mine, Staceyfran, stopped by The Happiest Place in the Mall, and we discussed blogging. Her site is here, she's just getting started, so go check it out and give her some feedback. (okay Stac... you may or may not have any traffic, who knows... but now you gotta update in case company comes callin'...) Anyway, I mentioned, in passing, that Julie Wise had now joined Facebook and that I was going to blog about her arrival, and then I stopped to say, "You know, Julie, who..." and she cut me off. "Oh, I know who she is."

And for whatever reason, it just struck me that there's alot that I've said in four years. And who knows who is reading what? I mean, I can't do anything about it now... I'm pretty sure I've made jokes here and there at others expenses, but there again, remember... its almost a comedic characterization. And yes, I can think of one catchphrase in particular that wasn't very nice... I won't even mention it here, for fear of someone on Facebook sending it out, if it hasn't happened already. And I haven't used it in a long, long time. Because up until now, when Mikey or KT or J Rob or Paulie Walnuts read something about Julie Wise, or Angiejay, or Jennifer Herndon or Chris McCall or whoever... its a funny story.

But Facebook connects the freakin' world. For better or for worse. Of course, the simple answer is, "Just remove the blogs from Facebook". Sure. But remember why I blog. To be read. And if I can get 25 page loads per day from people clicking over from Facebook (and I do sometimes, mind you), there's no way I'm taking it down. Doesn't matter now. Too many people have it bookmarked.

So, fellow bloggers, just remember the old creed used by Ferb of "Phineaus & Ferb" fame.... "But the internet is forever."

Oh, for those of you wondering, here's a then (top) and now (bottom) picture of none other than The Official Clouds In My Coffee Samson High School Crush Julie Wise (yes, yes, its "Edberg" now, but it will always be "Wise" to me)

Photobucket
She's gonna go nuts when she sees this...

But believe me when I say this... as Athena-esque as she was then, and as pretty as I still think she is now...

...She's not The Lovely Steph Leann. So I personally think I got the better end of the deal. I wouldn't trade her for all the Julies and Tiffanys and Goddesses and Kate Winslets in all the world, cause she's just that fantastically awesomely lovely. Just sayin'.

Besides, both Julie Wise and I had (I still do, actually) large heads. She sent me a note a few days ago that said: "You know it is good we didn't have those NBA sized head babies..."

Welcome to Facebook... and to Clouds in My Coffee, Julie Wise. I hope you enjoy it.